I recently had an issue with my home PC, which is running Windows 10. Although I had gone through the power settings and configured it to sleep after a few hours, I would find it was always on idle. The display would be off, but the PC itself was very much awake. I wanted to change this because the PC is used every odd day, and it is a waste of power to always have it on.
If you are having similar issues, follow these steps and it may resolve your issue.
- Select the Start button, then select Settings.
- Select System.
- Select Power & sleep.
- Ensure the Sleep setting is set to a desired value.
- Have a look under Additional power settings.
- Select Change Plan Settings next to the option that you have selected.
- Change power plan setting link
- Select Change advanced power settings.
- Change advanced power settings
- On the Power Options screen, you want to expand each setting and ensure that they allow the computer to go to sleep mode. In my case, the setting under “Multimedia settings” “When sharing media” was set to “Prevent idling to sleep”. I had to set this to “Allow the computer to sleep“. If you’re feeling lazy, just hit the “Restore plan defaults” button and that should toggle all items to where sleeping is allowed in Windows 10.
I hope that helps.